Welcome to Baltimore Woods
Baltimore Woods is a 30 acre strip of woods and green space between the residential and industrial areas of the neighborhood between Cathedral Park and Pier Park. It is a green fringe of native Oregon white oak, maple trees and native plants. It provides a natural buffer for a wildlife connectivity corridor, native oak habitat and watershed enhancement. While less than 2% of the original Willamette Valley oak remain, Baltimore Woods has remnant native oak that provide unusually high value food and shelter for a variety of birds and mammals that feed on acorns in the winter and forage for insects among its many lichens and mosses.
Baltimore Woods is named for it gateway on North Baltimore Street in the St. Johns/Cathedral Park neighborhoods. Rich in local history, the woods is located at the hear of the original St. Johns land claim by the pioneer Loomis family in 185, near the native American and pioneer cemeteries. It’s also the site where Lewis and Clark traveled and camped in 1806.
Baltimore Woods also fills a gap in the North Portland Willamette Greenway Trail that will run from Kelley Point Park in the north of Portland to the East Bank Esplanade in southeast Portland. It also will close a cap in the 40-mile Loop Trail that circles the Portland metro area.